Saturday, February 20, 2010

v0.9.1, Platform testing

I have been successful with installing and running Wall Flype on Windows XP, Vista, and 7.  On Vista and 7 ran great except for one little hiccup.  Upon the first load of Wall Flype on any system it selects the current user's picture folder to be the source folder by default.  This is fine on XP because the permissions are not as strict as they are on Vista and 7, but because of the latter two being more security minded strict permissions are involved with user accounts right out of the box.  When Wall Flype attempts to use said folder the program fires an unhandled exception.

The fact that this is cause by the permissions security is purely speculation as of this moment.  However, this is my hypothesis because of the exception information and the fact that if unloaded and reloaded Wall Flype will function perfectly.  So, if you are running Windows Vista or 7 and you receive an error on the first loading of Wall Flype, simply shut it down by clicking on the X button in the top right-hand corner and reload it.  I will have this fixed by the next release as it is first on my list.

[Update: 2/24/2010] In my ignorance I jumped to an erroneous assumption about why I was receiving an error on Vista and 7 platforms.  It turns out I was trying to access a directory path that does not exist and that was the cause for the error.  I had set up the default path for the source folder to be the current user's picture folder.  So, on WindowsXP that path would be "C:\Documents and Settings\[UserName]\My Documents\My Pictures".  I used a literal string for the last part of the path: "My Documents\My Pictures" and this was the root of the mistake because the path to a user's default picture folder on Vista and 7 are different e.g. "C:\Users\[UserName]\Pictures".  This has been rectified by making the default source folder path the relative path of the wallpapers packaged with the installation.

No comments:

Post a Comment